October 11, 2010

Thoughts on a Sunday-written on a Monday

*I really think Fall might be my favorite season. We got out all of our Halloween/fall decorations and I love it. My house looks so cozy with all my decorations out. I lit my pumpkin spice candle and my whole house smells like fall. One of my favorite things are those little battery operated tea light candles; I have them all over in all my little decorations and each night we turn them all on and enjoy the soft flickers in all the decorations. Love it!



*We had parent teacher conferences this past week. I have great kids. I just really do!



*I think Ethan, who has been our most difficult child in the night, has turned a corner. It used to be at least 2-3 times a week that he would wake up- confused, disoriented, and oh so cranky. He would scream and cry; you really couldn't console him. What he needed was to go to the bathroom, but he refused to believe that. It was a nightmare, has been for 3 years, until now. He hasn't had an episode in weeks. And recently, I will wake up because I hear something and it is little Ethan going potty all by himself- without tears, screams, or flailing arms. In my book, this is a small and very welcomed miracle. I hope it lasts.



*Did you know they make dry erase crayons? Well they do, and I bought some. They have been a hit at our house and I have no more worries that the dry erase markers will get all over the carpet or get dried out because someone left the lids off. Yeah!



*We had a huge storm this week. It was a night to remember. My kids and I were watching a Mormon message on youtube (yes, we are very spiritual around here), when we heard a huge crack and the power went out, right from under us. My kids ran around trying all the switches; they couldn't believe the TV didn't work. It was glorious, for many reasons. First, it was cozy. We lit some candles, even though it wasn't totally dark yet, and turned on all of our tea lights (see above entry). It was quiet for once in our house. There was no TV or music. The kids played quietly and it was divine. I didn't have to make dinner. I just couldn't without electricity! We had a busy evening ahead of us, so busy, in fact, that I was triple booked. It was going to be tricky, as it is so many nights, to get and be everywhere we needed to be. Because of the storm, 3 soccer practices were cancelled. Because of the lack of electricity, pack planning meeting and pack meeting were cancelled. It was wonderful. Trevor took the boys to their football games (which never get cancelled), and I was able to attend the Mr. Caveman competition with Kara at the high school. I am hoping for the power to go out at least once a week until Christmas. Is that too much to ask?



*We got an email from Brandon's teacher this week telling us what great boys we have. Apparently, Brandon is in charge of flag duty at the school for the time being. The other boys who were supposed to be helping him didn't show up for a couple of days. Brandon went to get his teacher to help with the ropes (a two man job). She got out there and said she witnessed Bryson helping Brandon fold the flag and little Ethan holding the state flag while they tended to the American flag. She ended her email by saying that the elementary school was a better place today because of the example of the Allred boys. Like I said, I have great kids. Also, I am so thankful for good teachers who take the time to tell me things like this. I probably would never have known this little incident happened if it wasn't for her email. She is a fantastic teacher!



*One of Alyssa's spelling words last week was "dude." Really? Dude? How am I supposed to use that in a sentence for her spelling homework? "Hey, dude, pass me a cig." "Dude, you look tight today!" Anyways, she kept spelling it dood, an honest mistake when you have other words like smooth and food. I wasn't too worried about it, because honestly how many times in the real world will she need to spell it? Dood I have no idea!



Until next week!

No comments: