October 1, 2010

Fridays Favorites- My Scout drawer

I am completely involved in Scouts. I have to be with 4 boys. I don't really have a choice. What I do have a choice on is how I approach the whole scouting thing, my attitude about it and how my feelings towards scouts will affect my boys. I made the choice when Tyler started 6 years ago to love Scouts. And I really do. I love Scouts. I truly believe my boys are better boys because of scouting. They have been exposed to things they never would have without scouts. They have learned a lot. I have learned a lot. We have learned together and most of it has been really fun. (For example, the dentistry merit badge. How can it be bad for a boy to learn how to really take care of their teeth, what happens if you don't, and about a possible career in dentistry. It was one of my favorites!)

Scouting, in my opinion, does require a little bit of organization. When we started I didn't know what I was doing. A great lady in my ward gave me a sheet of paper with her scouting suggestions on it. I have clung to those suggestions and my path along the scout trail with my boys has been a lot easier because of it. One suggestion was to have a scout drawer. I followed that suggestion and have been so glad I did. I put everything in it. All the scout books, any merit badge earned, merit badge worksheets, merit badge books, calendars from each den. This way I always know where my stuff is. I just recently had to help Tyler fill out his Eagle application. We went to the scout drawer and had all the info we needed right there. It was a lifesaver and saved tons of time. My very full and overflowing scout drawer is definitely one of my favorite things!

No comments: