November 24, 2010

Tradition Tuesday-Turkey Cookies

I have been making these turkey cookies since my freshman year at BYU. That is a long time. We made them one night for Homemaking (it was called that back then) and I liked them. They were cute and easy, just my style. I remember making them for my family when I came home for Thanksgiving that year. So I guess you can say that I started this tradition with just myself, myself and some chocolate covered cherries and it has definitely stood the test of time. I have made these cookies every year since, and my kids wouldn't consider it Thanksgiving without our cute little turkey friends.

First we gather all of our ingredients. Plain sugar cookies, fudge stripe cookies, chocolate covered cherries, candy corn, white frosting and green food coloring. I saw off a little of the fudge stripe cookies to make a flat bottom and then we get to work.

Even my littlest can assemble these treats. And they love doing it. You put some green frosting on the sugar cookie (the originals had green tinted coconut on the frosting, but my kids didn't like coconut so over the years we just eliminated it and used green tinted frosting.) You put on the striped feathers, stick in the cherry and using a dab of frosting put on the beak. Done!

We then put our finished product on some festive plates and choose the families we will deliver them to on the night beforeThanksgiving.

A close up of the gobblers!

After the deliveries we of coarse, have to eat the ones we saved for ourselves. That's definitely a part of this tradition, this tradition that has been around longer than any of my 7 cute little turkeys, a tradition that I think will be around for many more years to come.






No comments: