November 23, 2010

A boy and his....

...turtle.
This is Brandon's pet turtle, Bilbo, otherwise known as Turd. He has been in our family for almost a year now. How he came to Brandon is a small miracle. He really wanted a turtle. I mean really, really wanted a turtle. When he found out that they were at least $100 he started saving his money, every last cent. This was slow going. He went to pet stores and found one turtle that was only $50 because it had issues. I had to put my foot down on that one. The last thing I needed was a turtle with issues (what in the world can a turtle have issues about? I didn't want to find out).

Brandon was getting desperate and and after writing a very long persuasive essay at school decided to put it on his Christmas list. I told the kids I was pretty sure that Santa did not deliver reptiles. They remained hopeful. About 1 week before Christmas, Brandon was telling someone at recess about the desires of his heart to get turtle. Someone happened to overhear the conversation and said, "Hey there is a kid in my class giving away his turtle." Brandon found this kid, got his number, and raced home from school to tell me. He placed a phone call and we were on our way to check it out. I told him it was doubtful this was real, that it was the kind of turtle he wanted, that the kids mom knew what was going on, and that it was free. Ten minutes later we were walking out of there with a turtle, an aquarium, and one very happy boy.


Bilbo had been neglected. He had been living in a place much too small for a turtle of his size. His water dish was bone dry. The previous owner didn't feed him much and got rid of him because he wanted him to have a better home. I felt sorry for Bilbo, and secretly pledged in my heart that he would be taken care of in our home. And he has been. It was a good thing he was free, because it cost me almost $100 to upgrade his living conditions to include a bathing station and heat lamp and get him a physical, which is a whole nother story in itself. He is happy now. He eats lettuce, bananas, pears, and apples and he bathes himself every day.
He is an easy pet and I like him.
I just do, my little Turd.
The end.




No comments: