November 29, 2010

The Dragon Party (part 1)

For Ethan's 6th birthday party, we were planning on recycling an old spiderman party I did years ago for Brandon. He was fine with that, but I really wasn't. About a week before his birthday I, for whatever reason, was thinking about the movie, "How to Train a Dragon." I really liked it and thought it might be fun to do a party based on that movie. I ran it by Ethan, he liked the idea and his "How to Train a Dragon" party was born.


Ethan thought it appropriate to wear his dragon shirt to his dragon party!


As the boys, or dragon trainers, were arriving they were each given 2 balloons a red and a black, which they were told were rare dragon eggs. They couldn't let their dragon eggs touch the ground. They could have done it for hours, but the training had to begin.


They were then informed that before they could train a dragon they had to be familiar with fire, since most dragons breath fire. So they had to practice jumping over it. They went around and around jumping over this fire (courtesy of our ward cub scout troop). I loved when they started doing little tricks like spinning and flicking their feet. They were really serious about it. On their last attempt they had to do it with their eyes closed.


They then had to go into the basement and learn how to dodge fireballs. They chose a shield and then Brandon, my fire ball maker, hurled multiple fire balls at them. After they succeeded at this task they were taught how to calm a dragon or how to put one to sleep. They had to sing happy birthday to you very quietly. It really is the only thing that works they were told. They practiced singing in several times. They were now ready to receive their dragons. The excitement was palpable.


They were shuffled into the mudroom where the dragon lady was waiting. One by one she picked the perfect dragon for each boy. Their eyes were wide each time she went into the bathroom to get a dragon because there was a lot of banging around as she wrestled the dragons out and handed them to their trainers.