November 14, 2011

when I die

Kara thought she was so funny taking this picture of me one Sunday afternoon.


"Blog that", she said.


And so I am.




It is not a secret that I read obituaries. I admit it freely. I read them every day.


The habit started years ago while working as a nurse on the critical care unit. You see, back then I practically knew all of them. Okay, not really, but very often I saw the obit of someone I had taken care of, one of my patients, someone I knew. Sadly, when you are a nurse you are connected to death whether you want to be or not. And so, I read about death and the lives behind those faces, and the people they left behind. And I continue to do so today, even though I don't know as many any more.




My one pet peeve about obituaries is when they don't say how they died or what they died from. I know it is a personal preference, but every time they don't mention it the nurse in me screams,


"What did you die from? I have got to know!"




And so Trevor has been given very strict and specific orders. He knows that no matter what I die from he will print it in my obituary. I have told him that even if it is something really embarrassing (like an infected pimple on my hind end) it will be there, loud and clear, so no one is left wondering.


And then I can be buried in peace,

me and that darn infected pimple.



3 comments:

Sarah said...

Brian reads them too, I think everyday, and I do not understand this. I don't want to read about people dying, I just don't. It really must be a nurse thing.

And I really hope you don't die of an infected zit, but if you do I will smile when I read about it, and know you are happy.

The Mom said...

I read them too. I even read the ones in the Daily Herald on line! One, to see if I know anyone, and two, I feel like it's somehow honoring their lives.

Next, you need 4 days in Hawaii. Just sayin'. You could bring Trevor if you wanted.

krista bott said...

Well I am a nurse too, and I don't read the obits. I know if there's anyone I need to know about, you or mom will tell me.