November 9, 2011

spring break

Spring time is long gone, but the memory of our jam packed Spring Break trip to California is still fresh in our minds. It seems like every time we go to California it is all Disneyland. So for Spring Break we decided we just wanted to "be" in California. We wanted to relax and enjoy some of the things we never get to do there. And so that's what we did, although we didn't really relax. We were just too busy "being" in my home state. I condensed this post to only 18 pictures (the most I've ever done). This was out of 100's. We were busy everyday. And we had a blast.




This is hotel Allred. The most gracious people in the world live here and they never hesitate to let our large family of 9 come and camp out whenever we are in California. My kids practically consider it their second home. Thank you Uncle Merlin and Aunt Sally for your never ending hospitality and beds and couches and linens and food and company.

We spent our first night on the town. Down town Disney that is. So even though we weren't going to Disneyland, I still had to get my fill. And I got it. The magic was definitely there.




Rain Forest Cafe. Always a must. Always a hit. Especially that volcano cake.



One day we went to La Brea Tar Pits, a memory from my childhood. This is not a tar pit, just a bear statue at the tar pit with a boy bear impersonator.



This was in the Tar Pit museum. We were fascinated. Really someone actually found that bone in a pile of dirt and then knew what it was? Really?
I could never be an archaeologist.




We took a walk to Thriftys and treated all the kids to a double scoop of the ice cream of my childhood. Double malted crunch, chocolate brownie, and coconut pineapple. Now that's what I'm talking about.




We got $2 tickets to the Angels game. We were on the very tippy top row. And you better believe we had peanuts, popcorn, AND cracker jacks.



We spent multiple days on the beach. My kids just can't get enough of the ocean. They explored, caught crabs, swam, buried each other and ate sandy oreos. All part of the experience.
I don't think I ever remember a day on the beach without a sandy oreo.





The highlight of this day was the seal that swam up right next to Kara. Can you see it out there? She was a bit freaked out, but it made for a great story.




We spent one day at Knotts Berry Farm. My childhood memory from here was panning for gold. But by the time we got to the panning station it was already closed. I was heartbroken. I really wanted my kids to have their own flask with a tiny fleck of gold floating around in it like I did. Oh well, maybe next time.



My girls braved Montezooma's Revenge. The rest of us didn't.
( I love Ashie in this one)





We spent another beach day at Balboa Island. Riding the ferry, walking through the shops, looking at shells and lots of big fancy houses.



And you can't go to Balboa without getting a Balboa bar. (I used to buy them at the mall all the time) Tasty and so Californiaish to me.



We thoroughly enjoyed the Harbor cruise and listening to the stories about the houses and the people that live there. Seriously, some people just have too much money.




Kara was so happy because practically her whole school was here for a Choir trip. They just happened to be at the same beach we were at. Kara went frolicking off with her friends as if she was on the tour herself.






Luckily her friends had all boarded back onto the bus right before this happened. We laughed and laughed and laughed. I told her it was good luck to get pooped on by a bird. She didn't think so.




After being at the beach all day we got home and the Garcias asked us if we wanted to go play laser tag. We were exhausted. That didn't stop us. Of course we went. And then out for frozen yogurt. Play hard is our motto.



We took one afternoon and enjoyed Olvera street. Another childhood memory of mine. I remember the field trips and the famous confetti eggs. I bought some for my kids and when we got home to Utah we made 3 dozen of our own confetti eggs. We still haven't used them yet. We are waiting for the perfect time.



Kara tried to hone her Spanish skills the whole time we were on this quaint little street. This was one of my kids favorite things believe it or not.



We then headed down to Hollywood where we saw a few hand prints, a few wax figures, several impersonators (I swear Michael Jackson was really there...twice) and sought out our favorite stars.



Mine, obviously.



Ashlyn's, only because she couldn't find Belle.







And Trevor's (sometimes he can be so into himself).



And we ended our trip with a visit to where my eternal family started way back when. The beautiful Los Angeles Temple. I told my kids how I remember being sealed to my parents when I was 10 in that very temple. Now that's a tender memory.




Yes, it was a great trip.


It was a full trip.


It was a fun trip.




...except for the poop.


(But even poop can become a memory, right?)



No comments: