Ethan is all of a sudden into Legos.
So he really wanted a Lego birthday party this year. Not a problem, I have done Lego parties before, I can easily do one again.
Plus...
The table.
Classic Lego colors of red, blue, green and yellow. The one detail you can't see in this picture, which I'm guessing non of the boys noticed either, was the six circles drawn on the napkins to make them look like giant Legos. I scattered Lego pieces all over the table and propped up some Lego books. In the goody bags I put a can of soda, several small candy bars, airheads, a sucker and a bag of those small candy Lego bricks. I also put some of the candy Legos on top of the cupcakes.
The first Lego chosen was gray which meant we started off with the Lego shuffle. We cranked some birthday music and the boys walked around the circle. When the music stopped they jumped on a certain color and if I picked that color Lego out of the bowl they got a piece of candy. If I chose the color white, everyone got a candy. We did this over and over again until they had all gotten their fill of candy.
Brown was chosen next so we played the Lego Toss. They all picked out 10 Legos and then had to try to toss them into the different size bowls. Very basic game, but they enjoyed it, especially when they got a sweet point when a Lego would hit the carpet first and then bounce into the bowl. Now that is exciting.
(Their mini-figures were Yoda, a pirate, Harry Potter, Doby, a clown, Darth Vader and Indiana Jones)
The green brick sent them on a hunt for mini-figures. I had hidden about 40 (yes we have over 40 mini-figures) around the living room. They came back and counted them out. I also gave a special prize to the person who had found the mer-man mini-figure. Really? A mer-man? You have got to give a special prize for that one.
I strategically made sure they picked the red brick last. Red was the Lego sort. All of the Legos had gotten mixed up after all the games. I dumped them all out in front of them, set the timer and told them to sort the colors, which they happily and frantically did to beat the time. And then my party was all cleaned up.
Brilliant, if I do say so myself.
We also enjoyed opening presents (mostly Legos, of coarse ) eating cake and ice cream, watching parts of a free Lego DVD that came with the Lego magazine my boys get (which the boys were glued to and could have probably watched the whole time) and just some plain old creative Lego building. It was a success. An easy, cheap (I think the whole party cost me under $15) success.
And my boy was happy.
And that's really what makes it all worth it.
Happy Building!

No comments:
Post a Comment