December 16, 2010

Counting down

We have about 100 ways we count down to Christmas at our house. Chains, and books and trinkets picked out of a bag, but the one I just couldn't live without is the chocolate countdown calendar. And it's not only because it is chocolate, although that is a very good reason. It is because for me, it is a cherished memory.
I can still remember the anticipation I felt waiting for the package from Canada to arrive from my grandparents with my calender in it. I can still remember that sometimes the chocolate had slipped from its spot and had fallen to the next number below because it had been shaken up in the long distance travel. I can still remember that one year there were some white spots on some of the chocolate because maybe it was old, or maybe it had been cold in Canada. I can still remember that I ate it anyway!

Because this was such a part of my childhood I couldn't imagine it not being a part of my children's lives at Christmas time. And so every year I make sure I go to Macey's before Thanksgiving (because sometimes they run out, and then my kids and I would die!) and I load my cart up with 7 chocolate charts. I then hide them under my bed until that magical day, December 1st, when all the counting down begins.

Every morning in December, after my kids leave for school, I go around and gather up the charts that are strewn all over the house and put them back on their spot on the counter, ready to go for the next day. I gather up all the ripped off numbers and throw them in the trash. I do this all with a smile on my face because my chocolate countdown calendars make me happy.

I'm pretty sure they make my kids happy too. Who wouldn't be happy eating chocolate before school? And so far we have had no slipped chocolates and thankfully, no white spotted chocolates. But even if we did, that would be just fine, this tradition would go on, just as it did for me. It just wouldn't be December without these little treasures in our home. And you can bet I will be sending these to all of my grandchildren, no matter where they live, when it comes time, white spots and all!




No comments: