February 16, 2011

Out cold

It was a typical Wednesday morning. We were in my bathroom and I was doing Alyssa's hair before school, just like I do every day. She was reading her school book, also typical, leaving some of her homework until minutes before she left for school. All of a sudden she said in a panicked voice, "Mom, I can't see!" And the next thing I knew she was out cold. A dead faint, right in my arms. I lowered her to the ground and my medical mind began to race. Why did my healthy 8 year old just faint? There had to be a reason. What in the world was wrong with her? Trevor was out of town, of course. If I took her to the doctor, how many tests would they run? What was wrong with her!?! What could have possibly caused her to faint? After she came to and I got her settled in bed we tried to figure it out. Did she lock her knees? No, she said she didn't. Did she eat breakfast? Yep, she did. Did anything happen this morning that I should know about? Nope. Finally, I think it was Bryce who asked, "Was it the book you were reading?" There was a pause and then a quiet response, "maybe".



This was the book in question.



This was the page that started the process,

a bee sting right in the eye.


(Who would write such a book?)



And this was the page that did her in.



  • I'm thinking nursing is not in Alyssa's future.





  • Darn it!







No comments: