December 14, 2012

wisdom


She had just finished all of her finals.  
She had just passed her dorm cleaning check.  
She said goodbye to her roommates, packed up her clothes and hopped into our waiting car.
  The car that took her straight to the oral surgeon.  
It was time for the removal of her wisdom teeth and it was a heck of a way to start her Christmas break.


They had me come back with her.  The only good thing about that was the pictures I was able to take.  I really didn't like witnessing her being anesthetized.  I know I'm a nurse, but when it's my own kid, it really bothers me.  She was talking to me one minute and then mid sentence her head rolled to the side and she was out.  Disturbing how powerful those drugs are.
 I didn't like it at all.


Before she was out I did manage a few pictures of her in that gorgeous blue hat.
  The surgeon tried three times to get her IV in.  His exact words, "I can't remember the last time it took me 3 times to get in an IV."  She has some very impressive bruises as proof.



That's my girl.  
Her comment right before this picture was taken, "Could it really get any worse?  I mean look at that zit right between my eyes!"

I didn't have the heart to tell her that yes, indeed, it would get worse.


The next day she actually felt well enough to go play in the snow for a little bit.  Her cheeks were huge and she was quite bruised.    One of the things that I love most about Kara is her self confidence.  She took this picture of herself and then showed it around to everyone laughing right along with them.  That night she had several friends over, too. 
 Never in a million years would I have ever done that.

Overall, she did great.  She was happy to be home, happy it was Christmas, happy to play in the snow, and happy to take pictures of herself, her chipmunk cheeks and that lovely zit.

And I'm just so happy she's home, cheeks and all.



1 comment:

Sarah said...

She is funny and I love her.