September 14, 2010

Tradition Tuesday-The Candy Shop

I can still picture the pool. I can, for sure, still picture my swim teacher, Honey. She had short blond hair and was VERY tan. We took lessons from her for several years. I learned to swim although I never really learned to love to swim. I remember a lot about swimming lessons, but what I remember most is the trip to the candy store on the way home. I bought some sort of candy called oompa loompas or something like that. They were a peanut butter chocolate ball and they were delicious. It made the trip to swimming lessons so worth it.


Every summer I take my little ones out to swimming lessons in Alpine. They love it and are learning to swim. (You should see their 'monkey, airplane, soldier") They enjoy the lessons and teachers, but really look forward to the tradition I have carried on. The tradition of the trip to the candy shop on the last day of swimming lessons.


Conveniently, there is a quaint little candy shop right around the corner from swimming lessons. We drive by it every day to and from the lessons, but they know we can't go in until that last lesson is over. And when that day arrives, what a treat it is. They wander around and very carefully pick out some treats. Because I am a nice mom and a sucker for candy we get several things but we never leave without the grand prize, the traditional last day of swimming lessons.....



....GUMMY EGG!
For me it was oompa loompas. For my kids it is a gummy egg! We can't go in this candy shop without buying one for everyone.
"I'll have 9 gummy eggs please!"
I recommend them. For a gummy thing, they aren't bad. And those gummy eggs, well, I think my kids will remember them as fondly as I do my
oompa loompas!




No comments: