April 23, 2010

My favorite things-lunch in less than a minute!

I wanted to record some of the things that make me happy, or that make my life easier or that just make me smile, basically my favorite things. Here's just one of them;
Mornings are pretty hectic around our house as we all try to get ready and out the door at different times. One of the things I hated most was packing lunches for my kids. It messed up my kitchen as I made the sandwiches, cracker and cookie boxes were left out and often times I just ran out of time so they had to buy a school lunch when it was something I knew they wouldn't eat (Like hairy hot dogs that my kids say are served, at my school we had green hot dogs!) So I came up with a plan and it has worked and has therefore become one of my favorite things.

This is my lunch packing drawer. Every morning the kids will read the lunch menu from the school and if it is something they don't want then they simply open up the lunch drawer. In it there are lunch sacs and a pen to write their name with. They then proceed to pick one drink, one thing from the chip basket, one dessert and one fruit cup and spoon.

They then open the freezer and grab a sandwich or bagel with cream cheese and their lunch is complete. It takes less than a minute for them to pack their own lunches and they get to choose what they want. Now, before I started this I did a test. I made several different types of sandwiches and then froze them. I kept them frozen for three weeks and then thawed them and ate them myself. They tasted fine to me and so they passed the test. I restock the baskets every week, usually right when I get home from the grocery store and have everything out. I put different chips and cookies in snack bags and then throw them in the baskets. And then I lay out a whole loaf of bread and make my sandwiches all at once. Not too much time on my part and a much smoother morning for all! Definitely a favorite!


2 comments:

Mark said...

That was such a smart idea. I love that you are sharing these things with all of us.
-jana

Scott and Traci said...

Holy cow, that is awesome!! I would love to do that since I hate packing the lunch, and I only have one to do!!! Thanks for the idea.