I absolutely love General Conference weekend, everything about it. I love being at home with my family. I love snuggling in a blanket on the couch. I love having a little break from church responsibilities. And I especially love the messages I hear, the spiritual boost I receive, and the new list of things I can start to work on to strengthen my family and testimony.

Every year around conference time in the paper, they interview people about what they do on Conference Weekend. There are lots of traditions. I wish we had some of them. I wish I made a yummy breakfast that my kids looked forward to every year. But I don't. I wish we had a girls night every Saturday night during Priesthood. But we don't.

One tradition that we do have is we always hang all the
pictures of the 12 Apostles and First Presidency up around the TV. Then it really feels like Conference at our house. As they speak, my kids will find their picture and put a sticker or post it note on it. Sometimes we read a little on the back of the picture after the talk, sometimes we number what order they speak in. It is fun just to have them hanging around with us in our home. We feel their
strength and power.

But,basically, our General Conference tradition is that we watch it.
All four sessions, Saturday and Sunday, together all in the same room. We sing the songs, we sustain the leaders and we listen. It is cozy. It is comfortable. It is
our Conference tradition.

And then there are the traditions that go along with Priesthood. My Priesthood holders never miss it, no matter what! And Tyler's favorite tradition is the dinner before. I overheard him telling the younger boys, "We go to a real restaurant and you can order anything you want! I order steak and shrimp!" Their mouths hung open and I could see it in their eyes that they couldn't wait to be a part of that tradition too!
No comments:
Post a Comment