March 30, 2010

Tradition Tuesday-St. Patricks Day

I decided that every Tuesday I am going to post some of our family traditions. For a long time I have wanted to write down all of the different traditions that we do that make us who we are.
And here is the first.....St. Patrick's Day! It is tradition in our family to set a trap each St. Patrick's Day Eve. This year the kids were all very busy and so the best they could do was get an old diaper box and prop it up with a pencil (In years past they have been much more elaborate!). They then tossed in an enticing chocolate coin, in an attempt to lure the little leprechan with (It looks like there might have also been an orange jump rope involved). Alas, this year, as in all the years past, the leprechan proved to be too tricky. In the morning there was no leprechan, but just a pile of golden chocolate. The look on Ashlyn's face shows her disappointment that they didn't catch him....the others, well, they're just used to that tricky guy!


We also enjoy a traditional green dinner. Long ago I once tried corn beef and cabbage on St. Patricks Day. It was not a hit with anybody, except Trevor, and so I have had to find green things my kids would actually eat. This is what I came up with and we have been enjoying this dinner for several years now.





Spaghetti with green alfredo sauce, broccoli, green jello (sometimes substitued with yellow jello to represent a pot of gold), garlic bread with green parsley on it, and Sprite with a twist of lime. Appetizing, I know, but the kids love it!





Of course, we all wear green. As I was preparing my green dinner, I was standing at the sink looking out into my backyard. On the swingset (which happens to be green), I saw about 8 kids swinging and climbing around. They were all wearing green shirts and it made me smile. There is no other day of the year that everyone wears one color. I was grocery shopping earlier in the day and smiled again as I whipped down each aisle and passed all of these moms (and a few men) wearing green shirts, myself included. Why in the world do middle age women feel a need to wear a green shirt on this day? Who knows....maybe becasue it is TRADITION!






2 comments:

Sarah said...

mckay and i just read this post together. we both really enjoyed it.
i am so excited that you are doing tradition tuesdays because you have such wonderful ideas and it's time you shared them with the world!

from mckay: i liked hearing about your green dinner. why was ashie so mad? because she didn't catch the leprechaun? she wanted to play with him? i love allthefredo (alfredo) what is allthefredo? i like garlic bread.

now we are looking at ash's face over and over.

Scott and Traci said...

Ashlyn looks truly angry! That's a crack up. I tried good old corned beef too one or twice, but we are back to green food as well :) I look forward to hearing tradition Tuesdays.