July 10, 2010

I Love America!

It was kind of different having the 4th of July on a Sunday, but I enjoyed it. I felt the spirit strongly in church as we all stood and sang patriotic hymns in Sacrament meeting. I have always loved the patriotic hymns. It was also neat to have Kara up on the stand playing the songs on the organ. I also remember feeling the spirit strongly many many years ago in my American Heritage class at BYU when we watched the movie "A More Perfect Union." So this year, I bought the movie, and we all settled down to watch the miracle of the signing of the Constitution. We all enjoyed it and it started some great conversations.



I also planned a yummy barbeque for just our little family. Marinated chicken kabobs, grilled pineapple, grilled corn on the cob, rice and rolls. Trevor got out the barbeque and got all of the food placed ever so carefully and strategically so it would all fit. It looked so pretty and was starting to smell so good when........the propane ran out. Our propane tank lasts us about 2 years and seriously it ran out on the 4th of July! We quickly turned on the ovens and ran everything inside. It still tasted OK, but the moment was kind of ruined--oh well! We still very much enjoyed our quiet little 4th of July.


In grand 4th (or in this case 5th) of July tradition we arose early on Monday to get down to the parade. We never miss it. We sit in the same place every year. We cover our ears when the cannon comes by. We stand when the flag and any military veterans walk past. We cheer loudly for the pooper scoopers. We chant "turn, turn turn" when any big balloon is in front of us and then scream when they actually do it. We wonder who is keeping the streets safe when all of the policemen come by and do their little motorcycle routine. And of coarse we give a standing ovation when the Cougars, the Provo missionaries and the American Fork High School band parade past. We love every long hot minute of the Freedom Festival parade!


And of coarse, it wouldn't be tradition without Grandpa's flag shirt!



Every year after the parade we head over to Cracker Barrel for our traditional 4th of July brunch. It just seems right to sit on the porch of the restaurant and rock in rocking chairs and play checkers until our name is called. We then all pile in and eat eat eat. Even though we love this place, it seems like every year something happens. This year they forgot to bring Trevor's food. Even after we told them he didn't get his food it still didn't come until everyone had long since been done eating. He ate all by himself, quickly, because we all wanted to get home and rest.


There is truly no better place to have a barbeque than Grandma and Grandpa's backyard. There were 70 people this year at our family barbeque! That makes for one great party. We ate, visited, made homemade ice cream, launched water balloons and of coarse had a huge water fight! What a great holiday! We really do love America and love to celebrate in every way possible on this great day!





1 comment:

Scott and Traci said...

Love the pictures! And I love that movie you had a picture of. Again I can't read the words! :(