Third Grade is the year for the great Invention Convention. Tyler invented the "Pea-remover," a device to help kids get rid of the peas they don't want to eat at dinner. Brandon invented a "spider saver," a contraption that allows you to catch a spider in your house without getting too close to it and then safely letting it go outside. Both of these inventions came about with some help from mom and dad, as is usually the case for most elementary school projects. 



This was Bryson's year to invent something and he was ready. Since Bryson has been very young he has said he wants to be an inventor. And he knew what he was going to invent...the Everlasting Air Tank, a tank that will let you breath under water or in space for as long as you want. He has been talking about this everlasting air tank for a long long time, so when it came time for the convention, I thought, why not let him present what he has been inventing in his head for quite a while? One night we had a talk about his invention and I asked him how he thought it might work. He replied simply, "well, you need oxygen to breath and plants always produce oxygen so I will put plants in the air tank." Okay, that's a pretty good idea for a 9 year old. Then I asked, "Well, how will you get rid of the bad stuff we breath out?" He answered, "Plants need carbon dioxide to live and that's what we breath out, so it will be a continous cycle!" And there you go! The Everlasting Air Tank was born. Without any help or suggestions from mom or dad. That's my Brycie--future inventor! Sadly, we were going to be in Disneyland on the actual date for the presentation of all the inventions, so Bryce had to present it to the class before we left and another kid in his class had to explain it to the spectators. His classmate reported back that many people were interested in his invention and lots of grown ups asked questions about it!
(just a little note about this post. Help! I still don't know what I am doing! It was impossible for me to get any text under Brandon's picture and I have no idea why the top text is underlined. The top 2 pictures were scanned in and Tyler's looks really squished. I need my sister right by my side while I am learning all of this!)

3 comments:
trevor needs to teach you how to scan better. and he might need to learn how to scan better himself! other than that it's great. the underline only shows when you put your mouse over the text.
you are my forty year old sister (if dad is already seventy i'm afraid that you're already forty) and you are learning how to blog and i'm proud of you. keep going!
By the way, I want that spider saver!!! And how cool to see Bryson being so clever!
I am really impressed with your blogging, Lisa. I obviously love it, as evident in my novel size comments (sorry for the extra work on your part). But you are a really good writer and cute about everything. But most of all I enjoy being able to see the family and hear about your lives.
Post a Comment